Thursday, May 26, 2011

Emmy Prep


I am working on my gift packages for the Prime Time Emmys (!!!) and it has been slow going. I am sending a 4x4 print of The Butterfly Releaser (on 5x5 paper):


I will also be giving photo hairpins. I need 110 of everything, prints and hairpins, business cards, boutique cards, etc. The hairpins are handmade and I have never made them before, so it is going to be a challenge! I am still waiting for my supplies to arrive, so I am going to have to work long and hard to get everything ready in time.

The gifts will be packaged in a square 6x6 kraft box that I am decorating. That is 110 boxes I am hand decorating - say what?!
I am thinking something along the lines of this:


The print itself will be in a square glassine envelope (sealed with a sticker) and the hairpin will be attached to a card (that I still have to design - whee!)

On top of everything in the box will be a square 5x5 boutique card like this (this is a rough draft). For the back of the card, I might just have a short bio and more contact info instead of the image, which i am very unsure about:


The image on the right will be on the stickers I am using to seal the photo envelope and I may put them on the back of the box (over where the ribbon crosses - if that makes sense).

For my business cards, I am putting them in a kraft envelope and decorating it with black lace tape and a vintage button or bow. The image below is way more crafty than i hope it will look and it wont have that decoration on it. Just the black lace tape and either a button or bow.



For the hairpins, it has been a lot of trial and error.
My hairpins fit a 15mm cabochon and so I made the image slightly larger to fit the square, which was fine, but the image I had chosen (Lady Bird) just didnt work. So, I created a new version of it just for the hairpins.

I found some tutorials on youtube for photo magnets and jewelry and bought supplies. I tried resin at first and it just didnt have the look I wanted - very flat and dull. So, I went with a bubble cabochon and really like the results.
Here is what you need if you want to make one:


Supplies:

1. Image Sheet
I printed these on luster paper from whcc.com
2. Scissors
3. Craft Glue
Make sure it says that it "dries clear".
4. Sticker maker
5. Your hairpins (or pendant backing)
6. Clear cabochons

You can use glue to stick the photo to the bottom, but I watched a tutorial on youtube that used this sticker maker and it does make the process quicker. If you use glue for the image, you will have to wait for it to dry completely before you glue on your cabochon.



^Tracing photo to size of cabochon^

#1. Cut out your image
#2. Put your image through the sticker maker.
#3. Put your clear cabochon over your image and trace around it.
#4. Cut out your image.
#5. Peel the back of the sticker with your image on it and place it in the pin.
#6. press down on the image to make sure all areas stick.
#7. Let the glue cure for at least an hour.
#8. Put glue on top of your image. This part is scary, but it has to be done! Make sure you dont use too much glue, or you will get seeping and bubbles.
#9. Place your cabochon on top of your picture.
#10. Press firmly down on the cabochon to squeeze out any air and bubbles. Do this for about a minute. I do about a minute and I also pick it up periodically and squeeze it, just to make sure there are no air bubbles.
#11. Let dry for 24 hours and you have your hair pin!


I also bought an amazing vintage frame for my display piece, and am in the process of repainting it and getting the backing. I wont know which image will be in it until its finished and I can try some out. I will be posting about that as well in the next week or so with before/after of the frame and my image selection process. I may even have another vote here with the images in the frame so there is a better idea of what it will actually look like.

You can learn more about The Artisan Group and other artists participating by following their blog: The Artisan Group

No comments: